Sunday, January 30, 2011

Santa-Fe Style Rice and Beans

Smart Ones and Lean Cuisine both make a version of Santa-Fe style Rice and Beans.  Even though they are a little different from each other, they are both very good!  Not too long ago, my sister was over for lunch.  Her with the Smart Ones version and Me with the Lean Cuisine version.  We debated which one we thought was better and what exactly made that one better.  She settled on the Smart Ones and I settled on the Lean Cuisine.  Either way, we've agreed that they are by far our favorite frozen meal.  I have now made my own version!  I really really liked it and I am very excited to have it again tomorrow for lunch.

 
Ingredients:

1 can of black beans (drain off the top liquid)
1 can of kidney beans (don't drain)
1 can of corn (don't drain)
1 15oz can of tomato sauce
4 cups of water
2 cups of rice (uncooked non-instant)
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 heaping tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of sour cream

Directions:

This is an easy one.  Throw everything into a large pan.  Stir it together and bring to a boil.  Turn the heat down to low to simmer.  Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes, until liquid has absorbed and rice is soft.  Make sure to stir this often.


This is what it will look like once it's all stirred and simmering.

Serve with sour cream and low fat shredded cheese.
DH and the kids loved this.  It's a little spicy but mild enough that my 3 and 6 year old had no problem eating it all up!

2 comments:

  1. OK now you have me hungry! I am loving your recipes! I found your blog through my favorite website Money Saving Mom and now I'm hooked!
    Would love it if you could follow me back :)
    www.monkeymommascrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that site too! I just found it two weeks ago and I can't get enough!

      Delete