Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cake Truffles For Valentines Day

I've attempted to make cake balls in the past and it turned into an epic fail.  I did a couple of things wrong (how you do this wrong, I don't know) and we were left with a lot of mushy cake mixed with frosting.  This time, I took my time and did things the right way.  They turned out delicious.  My daughter Makenzie is in the kitchen sneaking one now as I type. 

Ingredients:

Boxed cake mix
Ingredients needed to make the box caked mix
Frosting (try to avoid whipped)
White chocolate
Red food dye
I used Cherry Chip flavor cake, only because the grocery store was out of the strawberry cake I had really wanted...how dare they...especially around Valentines day!  Who would have thought...
I also used cherry frosting.

Bake your cake according to the directions on the box.  When it comes out, let it cool completely.
Then....are you ready for this?

Make it look like this.  Break it up into a large mixing bowl.  Make sure to take your rings off.  Things are about to get messy.  Add about half of the container of frosting.  Please only use half first.  That was one of the mistakes I made the first time making these.  I used to entire container of frosting.  It turned into a mushy mess that was impossible to roll into balls.  Anyway, with your hands, mix in the frosting.  Mush it all up really well to incorporate the frosting.  Once it's mixed in well, you are going to form balls.  


Now you'll want to put these in the freezer, for at least a half hour.  You want them to become a little more held together before dipping them in chocolate.

Now that they are in the freezer, you can start chopping up your chocolate to melt.  If you're smarter than me, you can use white chocolate chips which will make it much easier.

I don't have a double boiler, so I just made my own.  Take a sauce pan, fill it half way with water and put a glass bowl over the top.  Turn the burner on start a boil.  Put the chocolate in the bowl to melt.  It's very important that you do not get ANY water in the melting bowl.  It will ruin your chocolate.   Keep stirring the chocolate until it has fully melted.
Next, add in some red food coloring and stir it around.  I used about 2 more drops more than what is pictured to get the color I was looking for.  I also used gel food coloring.
Throw some of the cake balls into the chocolate and cover with chocolate.  Remove with a fork and shake to remove extra chocolate.  Place on wax paper.  Repeat until all your cake balls are covered in chocolate.  If you are decorating yours, make sure to do this shortly after taking out of the chocolate, otherwise the chocolate will harden too soon.
Let them dry.  It wont take long if you live anywhere around me!  Enjoy!!!

32 comments:

  1. cute, i'll just have to try this! btw, what are those white pearls, are they edible too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These would be super cute as "cake pops", too. Just put in a lollipop stick .

    ReplyDelete
  3. It probably would be great with chocolate cake, or even with a strawberry cake with milk chocolate on the outside. So many decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so pretty! These would be darling for a baby or bridal shower too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done these before using a Red Velvet cake mix and cream cheese frosting. Even though I don't usually like red velvet, they were YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have white cake mix, cream cheese frosting and cherry melting chips waiting in the pantry to make these on Monday.

    I hope they turn out as pretty as yours (except red of course).

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great - They look fantastic - I will try it today... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yessel- Yes they are edible. You can pick them up at most craft or baking stores :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh these look so yummy (and so fancy)! I'm totally going to link to this on my blog - can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great and I like JLP's idea for making them into a cake pop. Then you can tie ribbons on the sticks and make into bouquets or give individually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look beautiful. Perhaps just the motivation I need to make some. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is a blogger, Bakerella, and she does cake pops all the time like this. She does fabulous shapes and things, very creative! I am such a huge sweets lover, I can't believe I've never made these before. Looks like something to do soon with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty treat! I want to try these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow these look great, cannot wait to make, I have everything in pantry.Thankss

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  15. I, too, have tried to make these in the past only to have them turn out not so great. I can't wait to try your version. Thanks for the tips! And I love your blog, BTW. I just followed you and look forward to all the great stuff yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to try these. For a little variance, maybe a Hershey's Kiss in the middle for a bit of surprise! Endless possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  17. llmcguire, it would really depend on the size of truffle you're looking for but I'd say around 3 dozen at least.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips, and yours are so pretty! I've taken a hand mixer to the cake just before adding the frosting, and that seems to break it up just right. (You can also mix in about half the frosting that way before you do the rest by hand.) Red velvet cake with cream cheese icing is also delicious and great for Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always use the full container of icing, just stick that in the freezer for a bit before rolling it into balls and it works just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for your great detailed instructions. I'm so unsure of how to do anything in the kitchen but I'm actually looking forward to doing this since you made everything so clear! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great recipe and looks messy but fun! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I picked up pink pearl nonpareils at the store the other not knowing what to use them for... I may have to dooooo thiiiiissss!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was wanting to make something so easy for Valentines Day and they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, these are so cute! Endless thanks for explaining how to combine the cake and frosting. My kids will love these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I did it! and your right.. messy! I almost forgot to take off my ring! That is a very important part of the recipe!

    I wonder.. can these be frozen.. if so for how long.

    ReplyDelete
  26. MomnAAWof3, I would assume they can be frozen. I made oreo truffles around Christmas and I stuck half of them in the freezer so we wouldn't eat all of them. They day before, I put them into the fridge and they were just as good as fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  27. made these for my husband's birthday - they were a huge hit!!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the recipe. The cake part came out perfect. I did have trouble rolling mine in the melted chocolate. The melted chocolate got hard too quickly and I couldn't get it to melt nicely around the cake. I used white chocolate chips- Maybe next time I will try to use chopped chocolate instead. Very delicious though.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your Pics looks fantastic.
    Sooooo cute! Love it all!
    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete