Thursday, February 17, 2011

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

 I'm am a huge fan of carrot cake.  It's a cake that I'm not sure when I first had but I know I love.  Exactly what I mean by that is this:  My mom only made boxed cakes growing up.  She also only made chocolate or yellow cake mixes with chocolate or white frosting.  She finds something she likes and she sticks to it.  I've given her many of my "out there" dishes and desserts and she will kiiiiind of like them but you can tell she'd much rather have her normal stand by's that she knows she loves.  She only will eat out at a few restaurants, and doesn't order anything she isn't familiar with.  I will be bringing her a piece of this cake tonight.  We will see how that goes....


Cake Ingredients:

4 eggs
3/4 Cup of vegetable oil
1/2 Cup of apple sauce (missing from the photo!)
2 Cups of sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 Cups of flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 Cups of grated carrots
1/2 Cup of chopped pecans

Frosting ingredients:

8oz softened cream cheese
1 stick of salted butter
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 Tbs vanilla

Cake Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together the eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, apple sauce, and vanilla.

Slowly add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon.   Remove from stand mixer and mix in shredded carrots by hand.  Once incorporated, also stir in the pecans.

I used two nine inch round pans.  Make sure to either flour the pans or spray them with nonstick spray.  Divide the batter into the two pans or one 9x13 pan.  
 Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 35 minutes for two 9 inch round pans.  Take out and let cook for 10 minutes.  Invert the cakes onto a cooking rack to cook the rest of the way.

Frosting directions:

In stand mixer, add softened cream cheese, softened butter, vanilla and confectioners sugar.  Turn on high and let whip for approx.  5 minutes, until nice and fluffy and airy.   Apply to cake!



1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmmm that's very similar to the recipe I use and I love it :)

    ReplyDelete