Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Jambalaya

Last month I went on vacation in New Orleans/Baton Rouge.   Down there I was able to try a few of their well known foods and fall in love at the same time.  Ever since having some of them, I couldn't stop thinking about them.  Beniets from Cafe Du Monde being one of them.  The other is the Jambalaya and white beans.  I attempted to make this as "authentic" as possible.  My friend Paige will have to let me know how I did though! 

Has anyone seen my ingredients pictures?  It seems I must have lost it.  Or forgotten to take it.  Forgive me! 

Ingredients:
1 smoked sausage, sliced
4 Tbs. butter
half of an onion
3 celery stalks
1 green pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1 can of tomato paste
2 cups of long grain white rice (not instant)
4 cups of water
1 Tbs. creole seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions:

Start off with Chopping up your veggies.  You want to have about the same amount of all three so keep that in mind when chopping.  Amounts are estimates based on the size of your vegetables. 
Before warming up your pot, make sure everything is chopped and cut.  Besides cutting your veggies, also make sure your garlic is chopped and your smoked sausage is sliced.  Once the cooking process starts, it goes pretty quickly. 

Once everything is chopped, warm your butter in the bottom of a large pot.  Add in the onion, green pepper and celery.  Let them cook for a little while.  You want the onion to be slightly translucent and the green pepper to be softening up a little.

Once those are at that point, add in the garlic and stir stir stir.  You don't want the garlic to burn.  After about a minute, add in the tomato paste.  Keep stirring as the tomato paste can also burn easily.  Then add in the sausage.


After about 2 minutes, add the water, rice, creole seasoning and black pepper.  Stir to combine everything.  Bring it up to a rapid boil, put a lid on it and then turn it down to simmer.   Don't disturb for 45 minutes.  Once you open the lid, you will see the rice has absorbed all of the liquid and you're left with Jambalaya!  How easy was that!?  Tomorrow I will also show you the easy recipe for the white beans that MUST go with the Jambalaya. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! Next time you are in New Orleans you should take a cooking class. I did that last time I was there and it was amazing. I learned how to make jambalaya, bread pudding and more. If I remember correctly it was pretty cheap for that 2 hr. class too.
    www.thesimplefamilyproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be doing the same hopefully. Im so anxious to get them. Who are you going to for removal.
    I live in New Orleans, my plastic surgeon is in BAton rouge. I go monday for my consult to them out.
    Also is he doind capsule removal and suturing internal tissue?
    plastic surgery baton rouge

    ReplyDelete