Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Beer Bread

 Beer Bread.  Most people have heard of it.  Many people have tried it.  I've heard of it many times but never has the pleasure of tasting it.  I've heard wonderful things about it and I can understand why.  It's soft, chewy, delicious.  In reality it's an easy bread to make too!  This is only my second time using yeast and you wouldn't be able to tell with how wonderfully this loaf came out.   I was very excited when I opened the oven door and peaked in and saw a beautiful loaf in there!  When making this, plan ahead though.  It needs time to rise twice.  Just remember, the best things come to those who wait!

 This recipe is straight up from the recipe at Closet Cooking.   He uses a combination of All Purpose and Wheat flour to make this bread to make it a bit healthier for you!  We can all use that!


Ingredients:

2 1/2 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
12 oz. Beer (warmed up to luke warm) The darker the beer the darker and more beer flavor your bread.
1 Tbs. Sugar
2 Tbs. Butter, Melted
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tsp. Salt

Directions:

In a small bowl add the warmed beer, sugar, butter and active dry yeast.

Let it sit for about 10 minutes to let the yeast dissolve.  It will then look like this:


While you are waiting for the yeast to dissolve mix together the AP flour, Wheat Flour, and salt.

I put it straight into my Kitchen Aid Mixer bowl so my mixer could do the work.  Once the yeast is dissolved, add it into the dry ingredients and turn your mixer on low, with the hook attachment, to blend the ingredients.  Once they start to blend, turn the mixer up to medium until a dough is formed.  Then turn it to medium-high to let the mixer knead your bread (5-7 minutes).  I ended up adding about 3 Tbs. more of flour near the end because it became a little sticky. 


Place your dough into a greased bowl and cover to let rise.  I live in Wisconsin and spring isn't here yet so my house is pretty darn cold.  Have you seen gas prices?  It's expensive to heat a house here!   My suggestion for that is to boil a saucepan of water.  As soon as it starts to bowl, throw it into the oven.  It will make a great environment for those yeast to do their work!   Yes, my oven is dirty.  Then throw your covered bowl into the oven with that hot water.  You will want the dough to double in size.  It took about 1.5 hours for mine.  It can take anywhere from 1-2 hours though.


Once the dough has doubled in size, take it out of the oven.  Throw your saucepan of water back onto the burner to start boiling again to make that great environment again.  We need to let this dough rise one more time!

Dump the dough onto a flour surface and punch it.  Then knead it for about 1-2 minutes.

Place your dough into parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet and shape into the form you'd like it to be in the end.  Tuck the sides under after you've achieved the shape you'd like.  That will stretch the top out a bit.

Cover it loosely and place back into the oven with your boiling saucepan of water.  Let it rise until it has doubled in size again.  This took about 1.5 hours again for me.  Take your bread and saucepan out of the oven and turn it on to preheat at 450 degrees.  While waiting for your oven to preheat, slice 3 slits down the top of your loaf.

Once your oven reaches 450 degrees, put your loaf in for about 20-25 minutes until your loaf is a nice golden brown.  Let rest at least 15 minutes before cutting into.  It will be hard to wait!

This bread was so light and delicious!




6 comments:

  1. I make a beer bread that is even simpler. It uses self rising flour, a bit of sugar and a can or bottle of beer. It is super simple and yummy. Never thought to see if self-rising wheat bread would be an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to know how to do this with self rising flour. Any suggestions? I know BusyMom mentioned in in her comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, I will put up a post tonight and then come back and leave a link to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, it has been a honor for me to be a follower of your blog and I would love to present several awards to you for all your fantastic cooking skills.

    The awards are at this link, http://bakeforhappykids.blogspot.com/2011/03/brown-sugar-mini-muffins-and-awards.html

    Cheers.
    PS. I like your idea of using self raising flour in your beer bread mix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted my Beer Bread recipe using Self-Rising Flour. I linked back to your post Sarah.

    http://abusymomoftwo.blogspot.com/2011/03/beer-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your means of describing all in this piece of writing
    is in fact nice, every one be able to without difficulty know it, Thanks a lot.
    My web page - quick loan

    ReplyDelete