Monday, March 28, 2011

Bratwurst Stew in the Crock Pot


I'm hoping the last days of winter are in the present and not the future so I am squeezing the last bit out of my soup recipes.  I love soup.  Mike sometimes thinks we have them too often but there is something I really enjoy about a bowl of soup.  It's warming and satisfying, two things that are very important to me when the weather is cold.  Bratwursts, or brats as we call them, are nothing new to me.  I've been having them since my wee days as a child.  Apparently other parts of the county aren't so exposed to them as we are.  I'm sorry if that's you!  Brats are usually my first choice at cook outs during the summer.  Summer....oh how I miss you!  Until then, I suppose Bratwurst stew will have to do!





Ingredients:

5-6 Precooked Bratwursts, sliced
1/2 green pepper
4 medium potatoes
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
3/4 Cup Water
1 Can Green Beans, drained
2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 Tbs. Dried Minced Onion
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:


Start off with slicing the brats.  Place them into a pan with a little bit of heated oil until browned.   I let mine get nice and crusty.  They are so much better that way!

Once done, place into the slow cooker.  Peel and dice the potatoes and add to the crock pot as well.
Dice half a green pepper as well and add to the slow cooker.  Add to the slow cooker....have I said that enough?

Open a can of green beans and drain.  Open a can of cream of mushroom soup.  Add them to the other ingredients........you know where......as well as the cheddar cheese.

Season with the dried minced onion.  Add 3/4 cup of water and stir everything up.
Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours until potatoes are tender.
Adapted From AllRecipes.com

1 comment: