Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chocolate Cake Truffles

Boy have these Truffles kicked my butt this week!  I have made so many of them and my hands have had chocolate on them for hours of each day it seems.  It has totally been worth it though.  The end results is just as great as I had expected it to be and then some.   These truffles are great too.  They taste almost identical to a piece of chocolate cake with white frosting, my moms favorite cake.  I used a boxed cake for this one, just to keep it as easy as possible.  It worked wonderfully!



Ingredients:

Boxed Chocolate cake (as well cake ingredients such as oil, water and eggs)
1 Jar Rich and Creamy Chocolate Frosting
1 Lbs. White Melting chocolate

Directions:

Bake your cake according to box directions.  Once done, let cool.
Cut it up a bit and then throw it into a bowl.
Add the frosting, starting with half the container.  You don't want it too sticky.  You want to taste the cake, not the frosting when your done with these.  You're looking for a consistency that you can roll into a ball, but not have it get stuck to your hands terribly, nor having to wash your hands every few rolls.  With this cake, I ended up adding about 3/4 of the container to get that consistency.   Wash your hands before starting to roll the balls.  Roll until all the cake is gone.
 Stick them into the freezer for at least 30 minutes.  

Melt your chocolate per instructions on the package.  Dip each truffle into the chocolate and shake off the extra chocolate.  Decorate after every few.  The chocolate dries quickly when the truffles are cold.  Repeat until all the truffles are complete.  
Tomorrow I will show you the end results of my moms gift.  I'll show you how I packaged them up and made it all come together!

4 comments:

  1. These look awesome. I can't wait to try them with different combos (vanilla cake with chocolate icing). Thanks for the awesome post with lots of pics to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures of these are exquisite. Makes me want to just reach out and grab those truffles. Too bad I can't. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake truffles up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you dip them in the chocolate? I tried taking them out with all sorts of different types of utensiles and they don't turn out as neat as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ten Feet One Kid,

    I use a fork. That way I can tap the fork on the side of the bowl to get off the extra chocolate. I then tap onto the surface I am putting the truffle onto until the truffle slides off. With the Peanut Butter ones, I had to use another fork to scoot the truffle off.

    ReplyDelete