Friday, March 4, 2011

Cocoa cupcakes with Cream Cheese Buttercream


First I want to say that I'm sick of winter.  In the past week, each and every member in my household has been sick.  We've had a stomach bug, we've had strep, and we've had bad colds!  I think we are finally on the mend and getting back to normal but I've had enough of winter.  I want to be outside.  I want to breath fresh air.  I want to be warm!   It's finally March, which means we in Wisconsin can see a light at the end of the tunnel by this point,. While many other parts of the United States are getting warm weather and blooming flowers, we are still seeing snow and gloomy skies.  Ugh.  In honor of March being here I made these cocoa cupcakes with cream cheese butter cream, decorated with St. Patty's day sprinkles! 

These are actually just like red velvet cupcakes, minus the red food coloring.  So if you like red velvet, you should love these. 


Ingredients:

For Cake:

4 Tbs. unsalted butter (room temp)
3/4 Cup sugar
1 egg (room temp)
2 1/2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbs. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 Cup buttermilk  (room temp)
1 Cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. distilled white vinegar

For Frosting:

4 ounces butter (room temp)
4 ounces cream cheese (room temp)
1 Tbs. vanilla
2.5 Cups powdered sugar

Directions:

For the cake, cream together the butter and sugar.  Make sure to blend for a few minutes, scrapping down the sides.   After a few minutes, add the egg and mix until blended.

My little helper!

In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa powder, water and vanilla.  Stir until combined.  Add this mixture to the butter, sugar, and egg mixture and blend. 


Next, add in half the buttermilk and half the flour.  Blend and scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add the other half of buttermilk and flour and blend until combined. 


Distribute mixture into 12 cupcakes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Let cool. 

Frosting:

Add the 4 oz. butter and 4 oz. cream cheese to the mixer.  Whip on high for about 5 minutes.  Add in the powdered sugar mix, while on low speed, until all combined.  Then add the vanilla and whip until smooth and fluffy. 


Source:  Something Sweet

1 comment:

  1. Very cute! Now I need to check my sprinkles collections, I'm not sure I have St Pat's themed...yet.

    ReplyDelete