Sunday, March 27, 2011

Samoa's!


Growing up I called these amazing cookies caramel delites!  They were mine and my sisters favorites.  We would have to beg my mom to order a box or two because she doesn't like coconut.  She liked those lemon ones best....who likes those best?!  Wait, maybe she liked the peanut butter patties best.  I can't remember but I have a feeling she'll be telling me soon. 

This year I didn't order any cookies.  Some how I didn't even know it was time to order cookies and no one asked me to order them from their child.  I was sad when I realized I missed out on that one chance to get these cookies this year.....until I found a recipe to make them myself!  These really do taste just like the girl scouts Samoa cookies and I couldn't be happier!

There are a lot of little steps involved with these cookies but they really are worth it in the end.  They are soooo delicious that I ended up giving away half of them.  They were simply too dangerous to keep in the house.  I found these recipe over at Once Upon a Plate.



Ingredients:

Cookie:
1 Cup Butter, Softened
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 Tbs. Milk

Topping:
3 Cups Shredded Sweetened Coconut
12 oz. Caramels
1/4 tsp. Salt
3 Tbs. Milk
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate

Note:  Some how powdered sugar got into my ingredients picture.  It is not needed!  Sorry!

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream together butter and sugar.

Next, mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt on the lowest speed until incorporated.  Next add the vanilla and milk to form a dough.

Empty the dough onto a floured surface.  Divide into 2-3 sections to work with to make it easier.  Using a rolling pin, roll until about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut out circles using any tool you find works best.  For me, I used a vintage glass.

Continue to cut out circles until all your dough is used.  If you would like, and have a tool to do the job, you can take out a small circle on the inside, however, I didn't do this because I thought it'd make my life easier.  It did.


Place onto a baking sheet and put into the preheated oven for 11-12 minutes.  They will be slightly browned on the edges when done.

Once all your cookies have been baked you can start on the topping.

Turn the oven down to 300 degrees.

Start off with putting 3 cups of shredded coconut on a baking sheet.

Place into the oven to toast.  Every 5 minutes stir it around a bit.  It only took about 10 minutes from mine to get plenty toasted. 

In a microwave save bowl, place your caramels, salt and milk.  Microwave for 3-4 minutes, stopping to stir it ever minute, until melted and combined.

Add the toasted coconut to the melted caramel and stir to combine.

Spread the mixture evenly on all of the cookies.  I had just the right amount of caramel/coconut mixture for all of my cookies!

Melt your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, making sure go stir every 30 seconds until fully melted.

Spoon some of the melted chocolate onto a flat place.  You are going to need this to dip the bottoms of your cookies into.

After dipping the bottom of the cookie into chocolate, place onto parchment paper or tin foil worked just as well for me.
 
Dip the bottoms of all the cookies into the chocolate.  Once done, drizzle chocolate over the top of each cookie.  Let dry before eating! 

2 comments:

  1. i like the coconut flavours in these looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. found you via pinterest...Love your blog..thanks for all the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete