Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Steak Fajitas

Whenever I go to a Mexican restaurant I order Fajitas.  I just love how simple they are and how they taste amazingly.  You can dress them up however you like and they make great leftovers.   My kids wont eat fajitas, but once and a great while, I will make them anyway and just make them a plate of steak with a salad.  Pretty much the same thing.  It's all about the presentation here people!   Happy wife, happy life.  Fajitas make me happy. 
When making fajitas I hate using the store bought packets of seasoning.  I don't like the flavor at all.  For this recipe I used a mix I found at Shark Recipes that seems to be just the flavor of seasoning I prefer. 

Ingredients:

1 Tbs. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper

Directions:

Mix all the dry ingredients together.  I then sprinkled half on the fajita steak and let sit for a little while.  You can marinate a few hours with oil if you plan ahead.  I didn't.  I'm out of luck.
On to the Fajitas we go!

Ingredients:


(act like I have a picture of this)

Steak of your choice.  I used Sirloin.
1 Green Pepper
1 Red Pepper
1 Large Onion
 Tortillas
Choice of toppings

Slice up your steak nice and thin.  Sprinkle half of the previously mentioned spice mixture onto the meat.  Let it sit for a few minutes while you cut up your veggies.
Cut up your red pepper, green pepper and onion.  You want this a little on the thick side since that's what fajitas are all about!

Heat up some oil in a pan.  Throw your steak in.  It will cook very quickly so keep an eye on it.  Once it's cooked to your preference, take a slotted spoon and put it onto a plate while finishing up the veggies.  You will have some juice left in your pan after the meat is done.  Keep it there to cook your veggies in.  There's lots of flavor and spices left in there!
Sprinkle some more seasoning onto the veggies as well before you throw them into the hot tub.

Cook until just onions are starting to get color and peppers are soft but still have a little bite.  Serve with toppings of your choice along with the guacamole recipe from yesterday.  Yummy!

3 comments:

  1. one of our favourites thank you for sharing looks colourful wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of mixing all these spices from scratch rather than buying them in a pre-packed mix. Your fajitas look very delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had this tonight and it was delicious!! I'm already drooling thinking about eating the leftovers for lunch tomorrow! Thanks for the comment on my blog and I hope you can come visit again soon! I'm your newest follower! I can't stay away from food!

    ReplyDelete