Monday, April 4, 2011

The Best Chocolate Cake


I've seen this recipe around.  Many foodies use it and I can't disagree with them.  It is the best chocolate cake.  It's rich, moist, and holds up well.  Please try it!  I think you'll be won over as well!!  I have now made it 3 times and I don't think I'll be straying away from it any time soon!  The Rose Cake Idea came from I am Baker.

She has a lovely tutorial over at her site on how to do the rose cake.  It's really actually quit easy if you get the right frosting for the job!  I brought this cake my moms birthday for dinner and people were gawking from all over.  I even had another table come over and ask where we got the cake from.  I offered them a piece, which they happily took. As any foodie knows a compliment is the greatest feeling in the world!



Ingredients:

1 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Cups Sugar
3/4 Cups Cocoa Powder
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
1 Cup Buttermilk
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 extra large Eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Cup of Hot, fresh brewed Coffee

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift the Flour, Sugar, Cocoa Powder, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt.

In another bowl, combine the Buttermilk, Oil, Eggs and Vanilla.  Whisk together.
With the mixer on the lowest speed, add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.   Mix until just combined, scraping down the sides and bottom of mixing bowl.

Add the hot coffee to the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom once again.  Stop as soon as it's combined.  This cake batter is very wet, so don't be alarmed!

Divide the batter into two greased, round cake pans.  Bake for 35-40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

You want flat cakes, so if yours have some roundness to them, place a clean towel over them right out of the oven and push down softly to make them flat.

Let the cakes cool for 15 minutes in the pan before turning them out of the pan.


For this cake, I used a simply white butter cream frosting.  This chocolate cake's flavors are so rich and the cake itself is so moist and delicious!  I've made the rose cake twice.  The first pictures are with the pink background, the second pictures are without a pink background.  The butter cream worked much better for me the second time around but my pictures lack a little because it was a rainy gross day out!

To decorate the rose cake you want to start off with a thin layer of frosting, covering the entire cake.
With a piping bag and an M1 tip, start piping the sides first.  You want to start your rose in the middle and work your way around, trying to stop at the same spot on each rose.
On the top of the cake, I started with one single rose directly in the middle of the cake.  Keep it about the same size as the roses on the side.  Next, go around the middle rose with one more rose that extends to the side of the cake.
You will have some open areas that the roses didn't cover.  Just take your piping back and fill them in with soft curving lines that follow the direction of the nearest rose.  I am Baker has a great tutorial with pictures that you should also check out!



5 comments:

  1. Seriously, that cake looks awesome! The rose frosting is so pretty... I might have to give this a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure your ingredients are right? It says 1 egg :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made this cake and WOW it was amazing!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried making this cake with great success and sooooo many compliments. It not only looks fabulous, but it tastes wonderful. Will be using this many times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this cake and it turned out simply beautiful. It not only looked gorgeous but it tasted wonderful. Will be using this recipe many more times. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete