Sunday, April 10, 2011

French Toast

First I want to start off with telling you a simple lesson I recently learned!   It's hard to explain to a 5 year old, who doesn't live in your house, why you are taking a picture of all the food you're making.  With that said, I recently made this french toast for my girls and their friend for a sleep over.  It went over extremely well!  All three girls had two slices each and I had....my share as well. 



Ingredients:

1 loaf of French Bread
3 Eggs
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 Tbs. White Sugar
1 Tbs. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. Salt
4 Tbs. Butter (for the pan)

Directions:

Start off with slicing the french bread into 1 inch thick slices.  You want them to be a bit thick!

In a shallow dish (I used a round cake pan) mix together the Eggs, Buttermilk, Sugar, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and salt. 

Whisk together.

Heat your saucepan up with about 1-2 Tbs. of butter.  Let the butter melt.  Dip each of your bread slices into the mixture, making sure to scrape off the excess on the side of your dish.  Place into the pan.

Cook on each side for a few minutes and flip.

Cook the other side a few minutes.
To keep the french toast warm while you finish up all of the pieces, you can preheat the oven to 250 degrees and throw them in there as they finish.  Server warm with butter and syrup!







4 comments:

  1. delicious french toast with buttermilk and nutmeg yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I like the buttermilk, I haven't seen that in French toast before. Just a question - lots of recipes recommend leaving the bread out to get stale overnight, they say it makes it less soggy when soaking in the egg mix. Do you do this, or find it offers any benefit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironchef, I haven't left bread out over night before so I'm not sure if it would result in a better french toast or not. This was day old french bread though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bread clearly looks like Challah bread, which does make a delicious french toast. Challah is one of the only breads made with eggs (milk & butter if really rich), but it's softer than French Bread which is never braided.

    ReplyDelete