Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spicy Bean, Corn and Tomato Burrito


As of late, I am trying my hardest to make better choices with the foods I eat.  I am good with portion control and getting a balance of foods, but I want to eat more organic and healthy foods.  I went today to the health food store and bought some things I thought would help me get through!  Do worry, I will still make my sweets :)  Like I said, I am good at portion control! 


Sorry for the blurry picture.  My kids messed with my camera settings and I didn't realize it until after I started cooking!

Ingredients:

1 Can Black Beans (Drained and Rinsed)
1/2 Can Corn (Drained)
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes (Drain half the liquid)
1/2 onion, Chopped
1/8 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp. Cumin
1 Tsp. Smoked Paprika

Toppings:

Sour Cream
Feta Cheese
Lettuce

Directions:

First take your chopped onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes in a pan with a little bit of oil.

Add the rest of the ingredients for the burrito (minus toppings) into the pan and cook for about 5-10 minutes to reduce liquid from the diced tomatoes. 

For a little extra spice I used these neat wraps!

Take a wrap and spread a little bit of sour cream on it.  Then add your cheese.
Add your warm burrito mix to this to help warm the sour cream and the cheese.  Then add the lettuce on top for some crunch. 

Roll, tucking the sides in to keep all ingredients in the inside and cut on a diagonal. 

And a small bonus!  My Niece all dressed up for her Birthday invite photo's I took!  I could eat her up!

3 comments:

  1. I just ate a "guiltless burrito" today for lunch! the ones we got together at woodmans :) Does this taste like it? Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically a bean salad in a very portable format, great idea. I can't wait until summer, so I can try this with fresh ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    Yes it's very similar but also so much better with the fresh ingredients! Not as dry as the frozen version!

    ReplyDelete