Monday, May 2, 2011

Broccoli Mashed Potatoes with Cheesy Gouda Gravy


Comfort food.  Good for you comfort food!  Kind of!  The Gravy isn't exactly healthy but because you're putting it over healthier foods....it makes it okay!   I'm still learning my way through gluten free.  It's been hard.  I tend to stick to what I know I can have, and not steering too far away from that.   I'll learn, right?



Ingredients:

Broccoli Mashed Potatoes:

4 Baking Potatoes, Skinned and cubed.
1 Head of Broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 Cup Milk

Gouda Cheese Gravy:

2 Tbs. Butter
2 Tbs. Flour (I used Pamela's to make it gluten free)
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Shredded Gouda Cheese
Salt and Pepper

Directions:

In a large pot of water, add your potatoes.  Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 10 minutes.


After about 10 minutes, add the broccoli and cook for another 6 minutes.

While the potatoes are cooking, in a small sauce pan, add the butter to melt.

Once the butter is melted, add the two tablespoons of flour.

Whisk for about 1 minute, to form a roux.  Then add the milk and whisk until it thickens up a little.  Add in the Gouda Cheese and stir.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Once the potatoes and broccoli are soft, drain.  Return back to the pan.  Add the milk and smash however your family likes them.  My girls like their potatoes smooth so I use a hand mixer to get it really mixed up. 

Serve with chicken or steak.  Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I think I gained 5# reading this post. I definitely have got to try this. I like the idea of a cheesy gravy and gouda sounds like a good first try. It certainly doesn't sound healthy, but yummy. Although, I have heard that you can smash cauliflower, so maybe I make it mostly smashed veggies and then it is a little healthier.

    ReplyDelete