Monday, May 23, 2011

Pistachio Cupcakes


About a month ago my daughter had a birthday party to attend.  It ran a bit late and the parents sent Katelyn home with her piece of cake.  I got to sneak a bite of two or seven and I was hooked.  It was delicious!  I am now on a mission to find out what the flavor of the cake was.  Was it almond, pistachio or some other flavor I'm unfamiliar with?

I thought I'd start with pistachio because the cake itself was actually green.  That doesn't mean she didn't use green food coloring to accomplish this color considering the cake itself was of Yoda, who is also green. 

In the end of it all, I'm not 100% sold that the cake was pistachio.  These cupcakes were sooo delicious, and light but it wasn't exactly like the cake I had.  I may never find out what this cake was.  The father of the birthday girl told me he drove 3 hours one way (6 hours total!!!) to pick up the cake the night prior from an 80-something year old woman that made all his cakes as a child.  If only I could get my hands on that recipe!


The frosting I used for these cupcakes were a bit too light for my liking.  I do love a light frosting but this frosting was like air on an extremely fluffy cupcake itself.  I would much prefer a butter cream for this cupcake recipe but to each their own!  The cake of this cupcake, like I mentioned, is amazing.  They are so fluffy and light and my daughter just loved them.

This recipe is also very insanely easy and is a bit of a cheat recipe since it uses boxed cake and jello.

Cake Ingredients:
1 Pkg. White Cake Mix
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
3 Eggs
1 Box Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix
1 Cup Water


Frosting Ingredients:
1 Box of Dream Whip (found in the baking aisle)
1 Box of Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix
1 1/4 Cup of Milk (the fattier the better)


Cupcake Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees:

In the bowl combine all the ingredients.  Blend for about 5 minutes until all the ingredients are combined. 


Place into cupcake paper and bake for 18-22 minutes, until slightly browning and a toothpick comes out clean.


Frosting Directions:


In the bowl of a stand mixer, place the dream whip and cold milk.  Whisk for 3-4 minutes on medium speed, until soft peaks form.


Add the pistachio pudding mix and whisk until fully combined. 


This frosting is impossible to pipe or impossible to actually look pretty. 

Adapted from:  Two Tiny Kitchens

5 comments:

  1. I've never been a pistachio fan but I may just have to try these!

    I have something for you on my blog...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the tint of green on these cupcakes. Very lovely colour to represent the presence of pistachio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried a pistachio muffin the other day that I loved, which makes me definitely want to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a pistachio fan either, but the colors of your cupcakes are just so enticing!!:) Oh, you definitely make them beautiful with the flavor and colors too:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made these tonight and they're wonderful! I put chocolate chips on top because I hate to think of a dessert without chocolate in it!

    ReplyDelete