Monday, June 20, 2011

Rhubarb Cake

 

This year was my first year signing up for a CSA.  If you aren't familiar with what CSA's are, I will try to help you out a bit.  It's where you buy a share at a local farm to get produce fresh from their farm throughout the summer and fall.  It's a lot of money up front but you should make your moneys worth by the end of the growing season.  

We got our first boxes this past week and in it were Rhubarb, Asparagus, Young Garlic, and Popping Corn.  I'm familiar with asparagus, young garlic and popping corn but Rhubarb took some time to come up with a good idea of what to do with it.  I had never personally cooked with it before so I was a bit worried that what I made wouldn't turn out.  I shouldn't have worried.  This cake turned out AWESOME!  It's so delicious and easy!  



Ingredients: 

(Cake)
1 1/4 Cups White Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Eggs, beaten
1 Cup Sour Cream
3 Cups Diced Rhubarb

(Crumb Top)
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Butter, Softened
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
Cinnamon for Dusting

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For the Cake:  In a large bowl, mix together Sugar, Baking Soda, Salt and Flour. Whisk to blend.  Add in the Sour Cream and Eggs and blend until combined.

Fold in the Rhubarb.

Spread mixture into a greased 9x13 pan.

For the crumb topping:  In a small bowl, combine the sugar and butter and mix together.  

Add the flour and stir to combine.  It could be crumbly.   Put the crumb topping all over the cake.

Sprinkle cinnamon over the top of the crumb topping.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  

3 comments:

  1. The golden crumbs on this cake looks so inviting. How nice if I can have a slice for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently made the same recipe, and LOVED it. I only wish rhubarb season lasted longer. I fear last week's CSA box is the only time I'll be getting rhubarb this season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous of your rhubarb! Ever since I moved to the South, I haven't been able to get my hands on some. Probably for the better, since the only thing I'd do with it is crazy desserts.
    Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete