Monday, June 13, 2011

Whole Wheat Pita Bread

Summer is here and along with summer comes busy days and nights.  I have lacked at updating the blog mainly because I have been so busy!  When I am cooking, it's quick foods.  I haven't been able to spend much time in the kitchen at all.  I think I am finally to the point of having the routine down and know when my best time to bake would be so I should be back at a regular posting pace.   I have a few recipes I have in mind for the week ahead as well!  I applaud you for sticking around!!!  



Ingredients:

1 1/8 Cup of Warm Water
1.5 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
1.5 tsp. Sugar
1 Tbs. Olive Oil (I used Grape Seed Oil)
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Salt

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar.  Give it a stir and let sit.  

In a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, add 1/2 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour, 1/2 Cup AP flour, and the salt.  Stir to combine.  

Once the wet ingredients start to bubble up a little, add in your Olive Oil  and then mix with the dry ingredients.   Turn your mixer on low until the dough is mixed.  Continue to add flour, by a half cup, to the dough until it forms a ball and is easily kneaded with your dough hook, or by hand.  I ended up using about 3 cups of flour, but this could vary so base it on the texture of your dough.  You want it a little sticky and not too dry!  

Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover loosely.  Let it rise for 1-2 hours, until doubled in size.


Pour dough out onto a floured surface and punch.  Then shape and stretch it into a loaf shape.   Cut into 6 equal sections.

Take each section and roll out into round shape, about 6 inches in width.   Set onto a plate and cover with a wet cloth to prevent drying once you are done with one.  Continue with the rest of the sections.  Place onto the stove and preheat oven to 500 degrees. 

Now comes the fun part.  Once the oven is preheated, place two of the pita's onto a rack (could use your oven rack as well) and place into the oven.  Take a seat and watch these little cuties puff right up.  It goes quick!  (Like 5 minutes...if even!)

I don't mind if I do!

Back to watching!

At this point, I pulled them out.  To be entirely honest, I could have left them in longer to get even more puffy.  I was too scared that I was going to let them brown too much and then get too tough once they were done.  Lesson learned!   These turned out really well regardless of my impatience!   Once they are out of the oven, put them into a container and cover with a damp cloth to steam them.  This will make them nice and soft!  

Store in a air tight container in the refrigerator.  




3 comments:

  1. Yummy! ps. I like your nail polish ;). Will you link up that recipe for that dip you brough over on Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be using this recipe next week! They look great.

    ReplyDelete