Monday, July 11, 2011

Creme Brulee

Hi!  Can you see me in the picture?!  It's hard to see but I am there!  Those tricky spoons!  Anyway, finally got to baking up something new!  I was planning on photographing my jarring experience with strawberry jam but it was my first time and I found it frightening and stressful and I didn't feel comfortable stopping to take pictures!  My next jarring experience shall be different!  Raspberry Jam anyone???  Onto the Creme Brulee.  This is a simple simple recipe.  I'm not sure if Creme Brulee is supposed to be easy but this particular recipe I found over at The Hill Country Cook is.

Obviously you can tell the lack of posting.  Summer is busy busy busy.  I'm gone nearly every day and home only a few hours to enjoy a simple dinner.  I love it though and I am not going to complain!  I hope you all understand! 



Ingredients:



5 egg yolks (save those whites!)
1/2 Cup Sugar
1.5 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Cups Heavy Cream


Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

With two bowls ready, crack open 5 eggs and separate the eggs yolks from the whites.

Add in the half cup of Sugar and whisk together gently.

Add in the 2 Cups of Cream and whisk ever so gently to avoid adding extra air.

In a cake pan add 3-4 ramekins.  Fill the cake pan with water up to about half of the ramekins to make a water bath.  Fill the ramekins with the desired amount of creme brulee. 


Bake for about 45-60 minutes.  At the 45 minute mark, take a tongs and shake one of the ramekins to see if the outsides have set.  You want to have a jiggly center but the sides to be set.  If they aren't to that point, bake for 5 more minutes and check again.  Keep checking every 5 minutes until they are done. 

Once done, place on a wire rack to cool.  You can eat them warm at this point or refrigerate and eat after being in the fridge for couple hours.  If you'd like to have a caramelized top sprinkle each creme brulee with 1 Tbs. of sugar and set under the broiler for a few minutes.  Keep an eye on them though, it will go quickly! 

2 comments:

  1. I've tried creme brulee before and man, was that good

    ReplyDelete