Thursday, August 25, 2011

Banana Cake


Bananas.  I have a slight obsession with them.  They are sort of a dangerous food in my house as I tend to eat 2-3 a day when I have them sitting so pretty on the counter.

Lucky for me, they were on sale for super cheap this week and I stocked up so that I had some left over to make this cake.  Have you ever noticed how insanely cheap bananas always are?   A comedian once said that at the self check outs, no matter what produce he had, he would use the PLU for bananas because they are so cheap.   He may be on to something if you are gutsy enough to put your morals aside for the day....

I kid...I kid..





Cake Ingredients:

2 ripe Bananas
2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
3 Cups Flour
1.5 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
3/4 Cup Butter, softened
2 1/8 Cup Sugar
3 Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
1.5 Cups Buttermilk


Frosting ingredients:

1 Pkg. Cream Cheese, Softened (8 ounces)
1/2 Cup Butter, Softened
1 tsp. Vanilla
3.5 Cups Powdered Sugar

I realize my powdered sugar is upside down.  There was a small hole in the bottom of the bag and it would get everywhere if I had it right side up! 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.


In a small bowl, mash the banana.  Add the lemon juice and stir.  Set aside.


In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.  Whisk to combine and set aside.


In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the softened butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
Measure out your buttermilk.

Add 1/4 of your dry ingredients to the stand mixer and 1/4 of the buttermilk.  Mix until combined and continue to add the rest of the buttermilk and dry ingredients back and forth until gone.


Stir in your mashed bananas.

Grease a 10x13.  

Add the batter to the 10x13 and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, until a fork inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Once done, throw the cake into the freezer for 45 minutes.  This helps it stay nice and moist!

Frosting instructions:

Act like there are pictures.  Someone was too excited to eat this cake that I completely spaced out and forgot to take pictures of the frosting process!!

In your cleaned stand mixer add the butter and cream cheese.  Mix on high until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and mix until combined, being sure to scrape down the sides.  Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time on low to prevent sugar clouds in your kitchen.  Once it's all incorporated, run the mixer on high for 2-3 minutes to get the frosting nice and fluffy.

Frost your cake and enjoy!



Source: www.food.com

2 comments:

  1. Oh and um... I'm so tempted to do that at self check out now! I never even thought to do that. This man is a genius.

    ReplyDelete