Thursday, August 18, 2011

My new obsession

Running with Makenzie at the summer fun run!

I have taken up running!  I am addicted.  I have the fever!  I'm still slow and I can't go very far yet, but I am totally in love.  It is just something for me.  Something for me to improve at and to push myself hard to keep going. 

I don't always love running.  I actually hate it at some points through my run.  When someone asked me if I enjoyed it, I told her that I feel like the entire time I'm running, I either love it or hate and but by the time it's done, I am so amazed at how far I have come.  I am learning to love the burn that is associated with it.  I am learning to take it easy on some days.  I am learning and learning some more.

I've already pushed myself a bit too hard.  I had some pretty bad Achilles pain after my long run on Sunday.  I did about 5.5 miles and by mile 4, my Achilles was sore.  Once I hit mile 5 it hurt and I should have stopped but I pushed on.  It felt so tight after my run and I stretched a ton but the next morning was worse.  I was walking with a good limp!  I took 48 hours off and went back at it slowly.  I did a short run to test it out on Tuesday and stopped as soon as I felt just a tiny bit of the discomfort.  Wednesday was even better.  I ran a little longer and didn't have any discomfort at all.  I'm hoping it was a fluke and that's the end of it!   Anyone else out there runners?  I would love to connect and learn from other runners as well! 
Blurry but her giving me a flower after the run.
 PS  I will be having another give away sometime in the near future!  Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. I am not a runner, but I'm looking at doing the couch to 5k to get me going. I doubt I could run around the block with out wheezing. So glad you found something you like so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a runner. I've been running for 2 years. I love it! It sounds like you have plantar fascitis. I had that for a few weeks. It hurts like the dickens...especially in the morning. Here is a link about it. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004438/ Don't stretch it and take it easy.

    Make sure you warm up and stretch your IT band though...you don't want and IT band injury...those are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started running this summer as well. I love how invigorated I feel when I am done. I still use the term running loosely...I am currently up to running every other lap at the track, for a total of about 1.5 miles per day. I'd like to get to running two, walking one before it is too cold to head to the track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So glad to connect with you! :) Congratulations on joining the running high club- it really is addicting! What a great photo of you getting a flower at the end- adorable!

    ReplyDelete