Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Angel Food Cake

This cake is delicious.   It is airy, moist, spicy and everything an angel food cake usually isn't.  I have had many angel food cakes from stores and this is not even comparable to that.  This has flavor and is as moist as a cake that contains yolks and oil.  With that said, this cake also has no fat in it.  It also is very low in calories.  Please enjoy this soon!



Ingredients:

1.5 Cups of Egg Whites (took about 11 eggs for me)
1 1/4 Cups of Powdered Sugar
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Cream of Tarter
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


In a measuring cup, measure out 1.5 cups of egg whites.   Let stand for 30 minutes.


In another bowl, combine your powdered sugar and flour.   Sift this mixture 3 times and then set aside. 


In a small bowl combine the pumpkin puree, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Stir to combine and then set aside.  

After the egg whites have sat for 30 minutes, put them into your mixing bowl.  Add the cream of tarter, salt and vanilla extract to the egg whites and beat on high.   Slowly add the sugar to the eggs whites.   Beat until the sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form.  


By hand, carefully fold in the sifted flour and powdered sugar mixture 1/4 cup at a time.   Continue until all of the flour/sugar are incorporated.  


Next, add the pumpkin and spice mixture to the batter.  Gently fold in until fully incorporated.  

Gently spoon into an ungreased 10 in. tube pan and evenly spread the batter around.  Take a knife and cut through the batter a few times to remove air bubbles.   



Place the cake in the oven and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.   The cake is done when you can press it lightly and it springs right back.  

Once out of the oven, immediately invert over a bottle.
Keep the cake inverted until is has completely cooled.  Once cooled, take a long knife and cut around the edge of the cake and pan.  Keep it as close to the pan as possible so that you don't cut off the outer crust.  Do the same to the bottom if you have a detachable bottom.   If you do not, you will want to line the bottom of your pan with wax paper before putting the cake batter in. 

Serve with whipped topping or ice cream. 


Adapted from All Recipes

9 comments:

  1. That sounds simply awesome! If only I had more time before work, I might make it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks way better than the foreshadowing beer bottle pic implied :P lol LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of the inverted cake! Never thought of doing that before. If I weren't on a diet right now, I'd totally make this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! I go pumpkin crazy this time of year so it is nice to have a guilt free treat for a change. I will be making this tomorrow for a group of folks. I'll be sure and pop back by and let you know how it went. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh this is one that I am going to have to make soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this look so tasty. I just love pumpkin. Would you consider adding this to my weekly blog hop? Here is the direct link - http://www.savannahssavorybites.com/2011/11/under-big-top-friday-blog-hop-november.html
    I am enjoying your blog...found you through tasty kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this cake and it tastes amazing! Very light and moist.
    Thank you so much for posting this and exposing me to the wonder that is pumpkin spice angel food cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the spice part, but I'm not a huge pumpkin fan (blasphemy I know). Would this work with applesauce instead of puree?

    ReplyDelete