Wednesday, November 16, 2011

French Bread Rolls


I've had this recipe in my bookmarks for a very long time.  Yesterday I was craving a bread recipe so I pulled it up on the screen and got going.   It really is an easy recipe and doesn't take that much time considering you do need to let it rise a couple of times.   I messed up and forgot to spray the plastic wrap with non-stick cooking  spray on the last rise so they deflated a bit when I took it off.    Otherwise they would have been beautifully rounded.   The result of these is just like french bread.   Crunchy on the outside but very soft on the inside.   I'm making chicken salad for lunch today just so I can have more of these.   Yum.




Ingredients: 

1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
1 Tbs. Active Dry Yeast
2 Tbs. Sugar
2 Tbs. Vegetable Oil
1 tsp. Salt
4+ Cups of Flour

Directions:

In your stand mixer bowl, combine the warm water, active dry yeast and sugar.   You need to let the yeast proof before working with it.   Let them sit for 5 or so minutes until the yeast starts to get bubbly.


Since we are in a cooler climate, I will give you my trick to getting my bread to rise within normal time since my house is so cool in the winter.   While you're waiting for your yeast to proof, put a pan of water on the stove and bring to a rapid boil.   Once to that point, throw it inside the oven.   It will make a nice little home for your bread to rise nicely and quickly and not take all day long.


Once your yeast has proofed, add in the vegetable oil, 2 cups of flour, and salt.   With the dough hook attachment, turn your mixer on medium to combine all the ingredients.   Scrape down the sides of needed.   Then add more flour by half cup increments.   Your bread will have enough flour once it no longer sticks to the sides or bottom of the bowl while being mixed.   If it still does and it feels too sticky by hand, add another half cup.   I ended up adding 4.5 cups exactly but it will vary each time you make it.  Once enough flour is added run your mixer on medium for 5 minutes or hand kneed for 8-9 minutes. 

Remove and place into a greased bowl and cover with GREASED plastic wrap loosely.   Place in the oven for 1 hour, or until doubled in size. 

Once doubled in size, take out of the oven and punch the dough down.  Turn it out onto a greased surface and cut until 12 equal sized parts.   Roll into balls and then place on a silicone mat or a greased pan.   Place greased plastic wrap on top of the rolls loosely again and put back into the steam room oven to rise again for another 45 minutes.  


Take the rolls out of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  

Place the rolls in the oven and cook for 12-14 minutes, until nicely browned. 

I'm sorry for a lack of pictures.   My sister was over while I was making these and I forgot to take pictures.


  
Recipe Source:  Mels Kitchen Cafe

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try these thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome! Will definitely try these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the trick with the water to get your bread to rise. It takes forever to get bread to rise in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. UMMMMM I don't have yeast....how do I make these. And I will most likely be linking you for this one :) lol YUM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect timing! I am going to make those for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delish! Does anybody use a bread machine anymore? Or is that a dirty word. I have one around here somewhere. Maybe its worth $$$. Ha!

    ReplyDelete