Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chocolate Walnut Toffee


It's that time of year to over eat on chocolates and cookies and I'm here to help you out.   I have never made toffee before because the temperature thing seemed complicated.   When I saw this recipe that didn't call for a candy thermometer, I knew I had to give it a try.   I am glad I did.   It's really so easy and very delicious.   Your ass will thank me. 




1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Butter (2 sticks)
3 Tbs. Water
1 Cup Nus, Roasted (choose whichever nuts you prefer)
1-2 Cups Chocolate Chips or Chunks

 Directions:

To toast the nuts, place on a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.   Place the nuts in the oven and bake 7-10 minutes.   At the 7 minute mark, check them and make sure still need more time.   Keep an eye on them at this point because they can burn quickly.

Once the nuts are toasted, place them in the bottom of a greased 9x9 pan.   I used a lot of PAM to grease my pan. 



In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, add your butter, sugar and water and turn on high to bring to a rapid boil.   Stir with a wooden spoon if needed.


You will continue to boil on high until the mixture turns into an amber color and starts to JUST smoke.   Remove it from the heat immediately and pour over the nuts.  Here is the colors as it happened.   Once it starts to turn darker, it goes very quick so be ready to move. 





In reality, I shouldn't have taken that last picture.   I should have been taking it off of the heat. 


After a few minutes it will look like this.


Let this sit for about 10 minutes before you add the chocolate chips to the top.  


Let the chocolate sit on top for about 5 minutes until you can tell it is soft.   Take a spatula and spread the chocolate over the top.  


You will now have to let this sit for a few hours to harden.   After about 3 I got sick of waiting and threw it in the fridge to make the chocolate set.   It worked like a charm.  



Tip the pan over on a cutting board and the the toffee should come right out.  

Cut or break into bite sized pieces.  

6 comments:

  1. No, my ass will NOT thank you. Obviously I have to make this now. I always get scared when a recipe involves a thermometer too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would serve these toffee for parties or after dinner.

    Good to know that this recipe doesn't require a candy thermometer...this is nice and easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make one like this with salted roasted chopped almonds.. then put more on the very top.

    Walnuts would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This toffee looks delicious. Adding it to my "Must Make" list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No candy thermometer?! So trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try this but I think I will use almonds (because I love them) and dark chocolate. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete