Thursday, December 29, 2011

My year in review!

Since I only started running in July of this year, my numbers are pretty low in to comparison to many other bloggers out there.   My running journey started with me running my familiar 1.5 mile loop that I still run when I want to stay close to home.   When I first started, I couldn't even run that whole mile and a half.  I did the ol' run-walk-run-walk-run walk until I was able to run-run-run-run-run.   Then I slowly moved up in my distance.   I remember the amazing feeling I had when I ran 1.86 miles without stopping.   I ventured out of my familiar loop at the last half mile and continued on.   I could have gone further but back then I left myself little room before it was dark out since I didn't think I would be gone longer than 20 minutes.   Finally I broke the mental wall that I had up and I was increasing my furthest distance by almost a full mile a week.  

Miles by month (only running miles):

July:  27.41

August:  69.38

September:  63.86

October:  62.87

November:  66.75

December (still a few days left!):  85.71

Total Miles for 2011:  376

My goal for 2012 is to run over 1000 miles throughout the year.    I am hoping that I can do it, but we shall see!  

I did 3 races this year.   The Joe's Pantry 5k, Turkey Trot 5 mile, and the Race to the Light 5k. 

My pace when I started running this summer was around the 11:24 per mile. 
My pace right now is about 9:57 per mile. 

I also plan on doing at least one half marathon this year.   I would like to do one in spring but I want to see if I can keep up the mileage through the snowy weather we haven't yet experienced this year.   If this doesn't work out, I will do the Fox Cities Half Marathon in the fall.  

8 comments:

  1. Nice progression - I think I'm going to add 1000 miles as one of my goals this coming year also!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are doing great. Keep up the awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great - look how much your speed has increased in such a little amount of time! My 2012 goal is to run 1000 miles too :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what is so great about our sport - we're all moving in the same direction. Some of us faster, some of us slower. Some of us love 5K's, some of us love marathons. It's ALL good :)

    Congrats on starting and good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these are phenomenal numbers considering you just started running! You totally rocked 2011. May 2012 be even better.

    Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I hadn't given up on my routine when it got so cold and dark...I need to find an indoor track that I can use consistently.

    Good luck on your goals. 1000 miles sounds like a nice number...just under 3 miles/day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great progression! i've increased my mileage but my pace is still SLOW!! great job recording it too! i feel like daily mile is a hassle sometimes but i need to get back into the habit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, thanks for sharing! It was especially great to catch up on some of your goodies from before I started following you :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete