Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Baked Falafel


As part of the new year, I am looking to improve in a couple of things.  One being less processed foods and healthier choices.   The other is to work out at the gym that I have had a membership at since August.   I have not used that gym membership once.   How ridiculous is that?! 

Traditional Falafel is fried and because of that, pretty unhealthy.     In this recipe I baked the ingredients instead to get all the benefits of the chickpeas, onion, garlic and spices without the fat.   





Ingredients:

1-15oz. can of Chick Peas
1 small onion, or half a large onion
1 large Egg
1 Tbs. Lemon Juice
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 Tbs. Vegetable Oil
1/4 Cup Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Cumin
2 tsp. Coriander
1/4 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 Tbs. Parsley


Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  

In a food processor, combine all the ingredients and process until combined.  



Line a baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper.   The easiest way to make the falafel is with a small scoop. 


Scoop the falafel out and place on the pan.   With a small  scoop, this recipe will make between 15-18 falafel.  


Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.  


A quick side story.   When Mike got home from work, he went to the kitchen and took a bite out of one of these thinking it was a cookie.   I didn't see the reaction but I did notice one had 1 bite out of it and knew exactly what had happened.  

Back to the recipe.   To make your falafel sandwich, you will need a pita, lettuce, tomato, red onion and some kind of sauce.   You can use greek yogurt (like I did) or you can use tahini or hummus as well. 


Stuff a couple Falafel inside the pita.  Spread the greek yogurt in there and add the lettuce, onion and tomato.   Enjoy! 

19 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm going to be trying this. I honestly never knew what a falafel was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE falafe but I hate to eat them since they are usually fried. Can't wait to try this.
    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks amazingly delicious. definitely one i will be trying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my hubs will love this! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm, I am going to have to try these~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love falafel but never tried to make them. Looks like the perfect lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE falafel! I started baking them too because I hated destroying such a healthy food with a bunch of oil and fat. I also started making my own pita bread. Its so easy to do and it cuts out all the processed stuff in the store brands. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. did you make those???? or are they store bought.....I want that!!!! I love falafel!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok new comment now that I've actually READ the whole post....can we be friends??? can you come over and cook these for me??? PLEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I've been dying to make falafel but hadn't found a good baked recipe until now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made this last night and it was great! I passed the recipe on to some girlfriends for them to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh definitely trying this!! I love falafel, but always feel guilty since they are fried. Thanks for the recipe to bake them. genious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just made these and they turned out amazing! i wish i could say the same for my pitas... oh well! this will definitely be a repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete