Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chicken Parmesan Casserole

 

I failed as a food blogger today.  I forgot to take a picture of the finished product!   Hopefully you can visualize how amazing this looked after it cooked.   The cheese was all melty and gooey and the croutons were toasted and amazing.   This recipe has been floating around Pinterest for some time now and I figured it was a good time to give it a test drive.   It was delicious.   Possibly even more delicious the second day.   I comes together in less than 10 minutes and bakes in less than an hour.
Pin It
  




Ingredients:  

2 lbs of Chicken Breasts or Chicken Tenders.   (thawed or frozen)
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Fresh Basil (as much or little as you like)
Pepper 
Crushed Red Pepper
1 Pkg. Garlic Croutons.   
1/2 - 1  Jar Spaghetti Sauce  (Use as much or little as you would like)
3 Tbs. Vegetable Oil

Diretions:

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.   

This will make a 9x13 pan.   Take your pan and spread out the 3 Tbs. Vegetable Oil all over the bottom of the pan.   


Take your knife and crush the garlic to get the skin off.   Then give it a good chop.    Spread the garlic onto the bottom of the pan.  It doesn't have to be perfect!   


Sprinkle the Black Pepper on the bottom of the pan.  


Add the Crushed Red Pepper.   If you like things spicy, put more.  If you are sensitive to heat, hold back a bit.   We like heat.   


Add your chicken on top.   You want it to cover most of the pan.   I used chicken tenders so it took a lot of them.  


Pour the Spaghetti sauce on top of the chicken.   Again you can use as much or as little as you like.   I wanted mine to be nice and saucy.   I also used two different sauces.   I had made a tomato vodka sauce the night before and had some left that I wanted to use up.   


Chop up the basil and add as much as you prefer as well.   This recipe is really how you want to make it.  


Sprinkle half of the Mozzarella cheese on top.   
Sprinkle half of the Parmesan Cheese on top.   I had shredded and some flakes so I used them both.   


Pour the whole package of Croutons on top.   Spread them out evenly.  


Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheese on top.   


Cover with loose fitting aluminum foil and place in the preheated oven.   If the chicken you used was thawed, bake for 35-45 minutes.   After 30 minutes, remove the foil and let the top get browned.    If your chicken is frozen bake for 55-65 minutes or until cooked through.   Remove the foil after 45 minutes to brown the top.   

You can serve this over pasta or eat as it is.   I didn't use pasta at all and loved this meal a lot.  

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this....looks like a recipe even I can do! Love Chicken parm, but hate how long it takes and how messy it makes my kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree :) chicken parm is too tedious of a process but we LOVE casseroles here b/c they're easy AND there's left overs :P YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty!I like that it's so much faster than normal parm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally making this for dinner tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm - this looks easy and tasty! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is superb! Love the way how you baked your chicken parm. It looks so easy and fuss-free! I would love to try to bake mine in your casserole style!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's in the oven as I type...it sure smells delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO adding this to the rotation! Looks divine. And, I *always* forget to take photos of the finished product and end up with just the product half-eaten on a plate or in a bowl ... LOL still looks devine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this tonight, and the flavor was amazing! But I had a problem with the croutons soaking up all the sauce and turning into mush. Any tips on how to prevent this??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to leave the croutons off and then I think it will be a great low-carb dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make this dish about once a month and it's a family favorite! I was having a problems with the croutons and cheese burning while the chicken was still only partially cooked, so now I stop after the marinara step and cook the chicken/marinara for about 20-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked almost all the way through, before I add any of the other toppings (basil, cheese, croutons). Then I add the toppings and cook for about another 10-15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete