Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dear guy on the treadmill next to me...

First it was your breath.   You were breathing and I could smell it.   Running and smells don't mix for me so I was pretty angry at this point.   I continued to ran through it since it was 6pm on a Tuesday night and all the other treadmills were taken.   Every time you exhaled loudly, there it was again, like a punch in the face.   Just in time to remind me of what I was missing the past 7 months while running outside. 

Your grunting didn't make it better.   I understand a hard run.   We all have those runs that we put every effort into but I didn't even make that much noise while in labor.   Let me remind you that I had headphones on and was watching TV and still could hear you.  

Lastly.   When you are done with your workout, please don't stand between me and the fan.   Cooling off?  I get that...but you may have forgotten to put on your deodorant today or it's not doing its job and I am once again nauseated by the sick smells coming from you today.    It was so bad, I started to actually wonder if it was myself.   Could I possibly smell that bad?   That was answered when you finally walked away and once again I could breath hot, dry air that didn't smell.  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO I took an entire week off of running.  I wanted to do a week of classes and then I was struck with a cold that sort of kicked my butt for a couple of days and ended up with not a lot of hours at the gym and a lot more hours at work instead.   

I look angry.  I wasn't.   I was actually darn cozy and warm!

This week I am back at it.   Yesterday I did 45 minute of Spin and then ran 3 miles.    Today I did Core-Stength-Core and then 2 miles on the treadmill.   I was told to make my gym stay short so that Mike could go get his brakes fixed but then that ended up not happening so I cut my run short for nothing.  


What are your pet peeves about the gym?

Would you move if someone next to you stinks?

16 comments:

  1. I came across this status on Facebook and had to read the entire post. I totally identify with this and have, on a number of occasions, had to stop running on a treadmill at the gym because of precisely the same issue. In my case, however, it was a repeat offender who smelled like an Italian sub. That was until last week when a new offender entered the picture. I have yet to categorize his smell and to do so might be too graphic, but I get it. I totally get it. Thanks for sharing!

    Christine
    www.mainelyrunning.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious and sadly true... I can't tell you how many times I have been alone at the end of an entire empty row of treadmills and someone decides to run on the one right next to me. Give me some space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how awful! I would move for sure, of course, it sounded like you were out of options. Some people have no shame. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha this happens to me all the time. A lot of the time I have no choice but to move. It definitely can ruin a good workout. Body odour is the worst of all of them though. The smell literally makes me gag. What's even worse? Body odour drowned in cologne. Oh geez.

    Glad you're back at it!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha, I wrote a post about my gym pet peeves yesterday! This is definitely one of them….wear deodorant, people! Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing worse than this is having the stinky guy not even run on the treadmill just hang on it next to you so he can watch football between his "sets" (which apparently 1 = set). Yeah, that happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes this happens way too often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hieheee! Just like Christine above, we also have two repeat offenders at our gym - one smells like a guava and the other one like vegetable soup. ALWAYS. Sitting through an entire spinning class next to one of them is just pure torture! Come on, guys - make a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahaha I would not be able to deal with that! I have a freak attack if someone is one treadmill way. Luckily when I go to the gym most times I have 3 treadmill distance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! I posted tonight about the horrible odor of the gym. I go frequently and have never experienced that sort of stink! I almost had a seen from Biggest Loser (vomiting). NOT OK!!! Sorry you got sick on top of that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh. That sounds horrible. Thankfully, my gym never gets that busy, and I've never had to deal with that. I'm not sure if I would move or not. I'm probably just deal with it because I wouldn't want to mess up my stats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, gross. You're reminding me of why I love my TM so much! The only stinky person on there is me - or hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It makes me glad I'm exercising at home! :) All I have to worry about is stinky little boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ewww, I have a hard time with stinky people when running anywhere. I once was behind a guy on a bike during a race and he reaked for miles. No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have moved in the gym more than once to get away from smelly or noisy people. It stinks (literally)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha that sucks about the grunting gross guy. I'd have to say something, it's just who I am....I'd go insane in my head if I didn't.

    You and your girls are the cutest all bundled up in that pic. Feel better. glad you're back to working out!

    ReplyDelete