Friday, January 13, 2012

Home made Vegetable Stock

javascript:void(0)

Yet another easy recipe to share that everyone should be doing!   It was so easy and I hope this post just puts the thought in your head that YOU can do this!   In this recipe I did not add salt.  I wanted to keep that out so I could season it myself when I am actually using it so that I can control the sodium.   You can add salt right away if you wish to though!   Some other ideas for good vegetables to add would be leeks or mushrooms.  I did not have them on hand so I did not use them this time.  Same with herbs.  Use what you have on hand!  Thyme is a great start though.
Pin It






Ingredients:

2-3 Carrots
3-4 Celery Stalks
2 Cloves Garlic
2-4 Onions
5 Sprigs of Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
A Palm Full of Pepper Corns

Directions:

Give your veggies a rough chop. 


You can keep the leaves on your celery if they are in good condition. 


Leave the skin on your onion and just slice it in half or quarters.   The skin will give the stock more color!


Cut the garlic clove in half.   You can leave the skin on this too.   I told you this was easy!


Throw everything into a big pot including the bay leaves, thyme, and pepper corns.     Fill it to the very top with water.

Did you notice I switched pots?  This one held more water.
Put it on the stove and heat at Medium High heat until it starts to bubble up lightly and steam is coming off the top of the water.   Then turn it down to Medium Low and cook for anywhere between 1-4 hours.   1 hour will give you closer to a broth.   4 hours will give you a stock.  I did about 2 hours total.    The water will decrease over time.   If you would like to keep a more concentrated flavor, leave it as is.   If you want more broth, add more water. 


Also, stir the stock every once and a while.


Line a strainer with paper towel or coffee filters.   Place the strainer inside of another pot to catch the stock.    Strain and then jar or put into sealed bags, once cooled.   You need to keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for future use. 



Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Simply savory. ;)

    Colin read your "about me" and wants to rent you. As I have no interest in "domestication" lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are seriously gorgeous! Normally I would never make a veggie stock on my own but you make it look super easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all -- awesome idea about keeping the skin on the onions and garlic!! I never would have thought to do that -- love it! Second of all -- I completely agree with Vanessa! Your pictures are seriously gorgeous! Not only am I going to make my own veggie stock (cuz we all know it's a great idea to have on hand!) I'm going to run out and buy those awesome glass jars in BULK!! =)

    ReplyDelete