Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake


I have had this recipe bookmarked for over a year now.  I meant to make it last year during strawberry season but never got around to it.  This year, however, Kenzie specifically requested I make a strawberry cake with the strawberries we picked last week and immediately I knew what I was going to make.   You can find the original recipe here, done by A Spicy Perspective.   I knew it was meant to be when I had already ran to the store 3 times in 24 hours when I opened this recipe up and saw that I have every.single.ingredient.   That never happens.   This cake is so moist and delicious and absolutely wonderful.   I skipped the glaze that she made because it was so good without it.


Ingredients:

1 Cup Butter, Softened.
2 Cups Sugar
3 Whole Eggs
1 Tbs. Lemon Juice
Zest from 1 Lemon
2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour, Divided
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
8 oz. Plain Greek Yogurt
12 oz. Fresh Strawberries, diced. 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Grease your pan.   I used a Bundt pan but you can use a cake pan as well if you would like.  

In a medium mixing bowl combine 2 1/4 cups of flour, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.   Whisk to combine.

In another medium sized mixing bowl combine your butter and sugar.   Cream until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each one.   Add your lemon juice and mix.   Start mixing in your dry ingredients, alternating with the yogurt until all combined.  

In a small bowl, toss the strawberries in the remaining 1/4 cup of flour.  

Add the strawberries to the batter and stir until incorporated.   Pour into the greased pan. 

Bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. 





2 comments:

  1. I tried to make a strawberry cake with my little ones this weekend, and was a disaster. I guess i didn't cook it enough (directions said 20 minutes; yours says 60). And I should have used a Bundt pan; would have been a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmmmm! As soon as it cools off enough to turn on the oven, i am all over this! (or if it just gets a little warmer, i can bake it outside!)

    ReplyDelete