Thursday, June 14, 2012

Strawberry Aftermath

For the past two days I have been hanging out with my strawberries.   We started off in a loving relationship.   I was proud of how we had come together and our journey home.   I had dreams of what I could do with the strawberries.   They were so pretty and bright and had so much potential.  

Over the past day I've grown tired of my strawberries.   They were never ending.   I was soooo sick of cutting off the tops so that I could actually use them in whichever way I wanted to.   My flat would empty but then I would have to pour the girls strawberries into my flat and like magic, my flat was full again.  

The strawberry process also made a huge mess out of my house for not only one day but two.   After the first day I was proud of my nine pints of strawberry jam and delicious strawberry cake (recipe to come later) that I cleaned up merrily and looked forward to finishing off the strawberries today.   I woke up and got going right away.   Cutting more strawberries and processing more jam, just this time is was sugar-free so that I could enjoy some of these beauties guilt free on some toast.  

Hours later I now have 1 strawberry cake, 9 pints of strawberry jam, 4 half pints of sugar-free strawberry jam, 3 dozen strawberry pancakes to un-thaw in the microwave whenever we need and 8 baggies of frozen whole strawberries for future shakes, smoothies and anything else I can come up with.  

Wanna see the mess after day two?  Remember, I started with a clean kitchen.





Was it worth it?  Yes.   I would do it all over again.  I truly love knowing where my produce comes from and knowing exactly what is in the foods I feed to my family.  It just takes a little bit more time and work but it's so rewarding. 

3 comments:

  1. YES! It's worth it for sure. I love pulling out the jar of jam mid December and remembering that YOU made it. And all the pancakes to thaw out for later use is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks messy but oh so fun! We are going to have a surplus of veggies soon, so i am going to have to figure out how to make pickles, preserve herbs, and freeze things! (save me some pancakes!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete