Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Could you become Vegan?

I am stuck with this question.   I want to give up meat.   I want to give up cheese.  I want to eat a plant based diet.   The problem is, can I do it?  For as long as I can remember, meat has grossed me out.   I don't eat a lot of it and haven't for many years.   If I do, I prefer to eat chicken breasts, steaks, roasts.   All the meat that isn't ground up and processed.  

When it comes to dairy products, I don't have a problem with milk as I don't drink milk anyway.   If I do, it's simply to add to my coffee and I would have no problem trading that out with almond milk, which I always have anyway.   Cheese though....Oh sweet cheese.   I love cheese.   I live in Wisconsin after all and we are known as the cheese heads.   I am willing to give the diary free "cheese" a chance and see how it holds up to it's competitor.   If it's good enough, I might be able to do it.

The problem is, will I be able to stick to a vegan diet?  None of my friends are vegan.   No one in my family is vegan.   I love doing things socially and that involves eating out or eating at other peoples houses and that means I don't really know what ingredients will be in the food.

How do you vegans out there do it?   

This video is very enlightening.   It's not to make you feel bad about your choices.  It's all science and what science has found out about people that eat a plant based diet.    I can't help but want to try it.  The video is long....a whole 45 minutes.   Take the time to watch it though.   Like I said, it's not to make you feel bad about what you eat.   To show you the science about the super foods that are out there for us to eat.  

If you do not already, do you think you could live a vegan life style?

 Is beer okay to drink still??? 


6 comments:

  1. Ah, it's not easy. I've been doing Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live plan since January and I just came off two weeks of MAJOR slip ups. I mean deep-fried, meat eating slipups. And, so I spent the a four-day weekend trying to rebound and reflecting on how I couldn't order food that pleased those around me, I had to order what was RIGHT for me when I'm out. There are tons of really delicious dishes you can make that even omnivores will devour (www.happyherbivore.com). It's not easy, but once you break those cravings you won't even want cheese. Check out Eat to Live, Engine 2, Happy Herbivore. There are ways to make cheese from raw nuts (cashews). Look into why dairy is so bad (asthma, inflammation, allergies, auto-immune diseases). And, strive for progress not perfection if you choose the journey. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy and I were vegan for nearly 2 years. Just recently have we decided that being vegetarian will be the route we take. The healthiest I ever felt was when I was vegan, but it's hard unless you eat only at home. Eating out is difficult because you can't be sure if they're putting butter in things, if the oil they use is vegetable base, if the soups only have vegetable stock... all questions you can ask, but most of the time the wait staff was unsure and causes this big commotion. After a year of this with eating out (and an unsupportive family for family gatherings) we decided that to make ours and their lives easier that when we eat out we will allow dairy. That made it soooo much easier. We still ate 100% vegan at home though. But like you I love cheese and vegan cheese simply does not compare... at all. I force myself to limit the cheese though. I will only allow it in my meals once or twice a week. Everything is better in moderation. I still do not eat meats; however, have been toying with the idea of eating seafood. Since going vegan/vegetarian I have never been healthier. I eat 10 times more vegetables than I ever did. And I also found that once my taste buds were free from typical american foods, I loved things I never loved before... cabbage, tofu, beans, lentils, etc...

    I also know that Mike is a meat and potatoes kind of guy... going vegan would pretty much mean you have to make two meals for dinner. If you have very limited dairy as it is, I would suggest just cutting out meat and even further limiting your dairy intake. See how it makes you feel.

    Once last thought, and I'll leave you alone ;) Since our homesteading efforts have come forth, we find peace and comfort in knowing the source of where eggs come from and have now allowed ourselves to eat eggs if we know the hens are fed and well taken care of. Soon they will be from our own chickens. Eggs and cheese were the ONLY two things I missed when I was vegan. It's nice to have them back... just only in moderation. I even still bake a lot of my things vegan and 3/4 of my meals are vegan, but not having such strict rules has made my life easier and I still feel healthy.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to be vegan about 10 years ago, and it was an epic failure. Granted, at the time i didn't know how to cook, and i knew nothing about nutrition. Needless to say it ended up badly with me suffering from severe malnutrition. I think i could do it now with much more success, but i hate the idea of totally eliminating anything. I don't eat much dairy, but i don't want to exclude it entirely. And i don't eat meat, but a life without fish (sushi) seems so sad....

    Beer is totally vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been able to do the vegan thing. It is hard like Lindsay said, unless you are making ALL your own meals. Also while out it's annoying even being a vegetarian. People's alternative meals for you seem to be the normal menu minus the meat. lol I was a veggie for 5 years but began eating meat while pregnant. I have slowly started losing my like for it again. We don't eat very much meat, as we try to be environmental and get our protein else where. I have no idea whether I could give up cheese either. It's amazing! brie alone would keep me away from veganism ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally fall into the WISH I COULD category here. I have decided to cut meat down though. There are so many other natural protein sources. Gah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just do your best. We're dappling with veganism, and I try to prepare as much vegan as possible. Cheese is definitely the hardest. And eggs. And honey. Ok, ok. So, really, we're just trying to be vegetarian, I guess. :-)

    ReplyDelete