Monday, August 6, 2012

How to screw up 13.1

Yesterday I went for my long run.   On the plan was a half marathon.   Unfortunately there really weren't any in the area to sign up for so I had to do a mock half marathon.   The problem with this is I didn't really take it seriously and went out and did it with little prepping and thought.   Last week I did twelve so this is only a mile more and all.  

I also want to mention that last week I had IT band pain start up at mile 11.   It scared the crap out of me so I bought a knee wrap and it must have worked because I did my long run last night with no IT band pain.   Everything else hurt, but at least it wasn't the dreaded IT band. 

So the only prepping I did was drinking some Nuun during the day and eating light, bland food.   I knew I wouldn't be able to get out and run until about 7pm on Sunday night because Mike was working but I was okay with it this weekend because the weather was glorious.   It was about 75 with barely any humidity and I was so excited to run in weather that wasn't going to make me feel like I was on a death march. 

I also bought a Nathan hydration belt.   I was always very nervous about using one because I very easily have stomach issues and the just thought of something pushing on my stomach made me want to jolt to the bathroom.    Since every run I have had this summer needed water, I got sick and tired of constantly having a water bottle in my hand.   My small one is fine but the bigger hand held I use feels so heavy and like it makes me feel like I'm running off balance.   I'm happy to report that I loved it.   When all four water bottles were full it did feel a little heavy but once it settled into place on my hips, it didn't bound around and since the waist band is wide, I didn't feel like it was putting much pressure on my stomach.  

So how did I fail my long run?   I'm happy to report that I did complete the 13.1 that was on the schedule.   I am also happy to report that my time to do it, including walk breaks, fuel breaks and any other breaks came to a pretty good time for a long run.   What I am not happy to report is that it HURT badly once I hit mile 10. 

For fuel, all I had was apple sauce.   While I actually feel like it fueled me well, I had no salt at all the entire run.  Once I got to mile ten, my muscles were so tight.   It took me a couple miles to realize it but I actually felt better running than walking.    Once I would stop to walk or wait for a traffic light, my face would show grimace because it was just that painful to stop.   At one point I stretched out my calf muscles at a red light and that was so extremely painful that I may have thrown out an F-bomb.   Thankfully this happened only the last few miles so I was able to get the miles done.   This isn't were the stupidity ends though.

When I got home, I stretched.   It felt amazing to stretch.  I made an ice bath and hopped in to help with muscle pain since I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.     I sat in there and then took a warm shower (is that defeating the purpose of my ice bath?) and got into pajamas.  I then went up to bed to watch my favorite show in the whole world "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" only to realize that my DVR didn't record it for some reason (was there not a new episode on last night?!) and throw around a few F-Bombs because my favorite part of Sunday was screwed up.   I didn't drink anything when I got home.   I didn't have any electrolytes.   I went to bed with sore legs but otherwise felt alright.  

At 5 AM I woke up with the worst throbbing headache that I've had since my last hang over.    I got up to get some Tylenol and actually thought to myself "I feel hung over!"  I then downed half a Gatorade because I'm smart like that. 

So now I am on a mission today to get some Honey Stingers (those don't make me have to run to the bathroom!) and some salt pills for my long runs.    I need to plan my fueling better than I have been now that I'm getting up there in the mileage.   

Since you made it all the way through this long post without any pictures, I have a treat for you.  



This is the creepy look you will get from me if you piss me off.   This is also self humiliation for the sake of a blog. 

8 comments:

  1. You nerd ;)

    Hope you feel better, I continue to run through pain but out scares me. I think that's why I'm not running gaga anymore. I love out but getting injured sucks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, sounds like a tough one. I often carry Nuun on long runs just to have the electrolytes and it made a huge difference for me. Hope the next one is better for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your next long run goes better for you! I recently got a Nathan hydration belt and I have really enjoyed mine. The wide band makes a big difference in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you had a crappy run, try Hammer Endurolyte pills as they are basically all sodium.

    You look like a badass biker chick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You DO look badass! And great job finishing, Sarah! Sorry you felt crappy, but at least you know what you have to do, right? You rock!

    I know you're local, so if you ever want to ride together, let me know! :)

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know that I had ever heard of the salt thing...guess that is where some use peanut butter for fuel - it would have salt and protein. I'm not a distance runner though...I'm glad to run 2 1/2 miles continuous at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yikes! dehydration is the worst! I take salt even for the short runs lately - stupid summer! Glad you're ok!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I had that same crappy run this weekend. Although I hate that you were in pain, I am happy to know that I'm not the only person screwing running up sometimes. Or is it running screwing us?

    ReplyDelete