Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Upcoming Race Schedule

While I'm in the middle of marathon training, it's easy to forget the other races on my schedule.   A while back I signed up for the Fox Cities Marathon (I'm doing the half).  I keep forgetting this is even happening.   13.1 for me is still a challenge so I need to remember that I have less than 3 weeks until I'm toeing the start line.   It will only be my second half marathon so I really am still not sure what to expect of it.   I am going into it as a training run so honestly I don't really know if I will PR (nor do I expect to).   My previous half marathon time was 2:11 and that averages out to right at a 10:00 minute mile.  This whole summer, I have barely kept that pace on longer runs.   The humidity has been killing me and I don't expect it to cool down that much before this race considering the AC is on right now and we are expected to get back into the 90's this week.

Several other bloggers are also doing this race, either the full or half marathon so it should be a fun time regardless.   Bonus!

Next up is my full marathon.   By the middle of October it better be cooler or I might have to do some serious harm to someone.   I still have the mentality of just finishing it.   Lish and I both agree to just do it, have some fun with it and finish.   We don't want to set ourselves up for a melt down when we see we aren't hitting goals we may have had in mind.   The only thing that worries me is that it's on a trail that isn't paved.    I have bad luck with unpaved trails.  It will be interesting to say the least. 

Right after the full marathon I also signed up for the Tyranena Beer Run.   Any guesses on why I signed up for that?  It's a half marathon and from what I hear, it's pretty hilly.   I'm hoping I'm recovered enough to get through it without wanting to shoot my head off.   I am sure to enjoy the brews and provided food after.  

I am not officially signed up for any other races but I still would love to get in another 5k since my last 5k was last December.    I would hope that I have improved some since that time.    I was told this week that I should be faster than I am.    I'm so damn tall that you would think my stride would be long but it's been pretty typical of me all my life not to put forth my best effort when it comes to sports.   I used to hear it all the time growing up, the potential I have but I don't put it all out there.   If someone would like to explain to me why I'm such a wuss, that would be great.   I just chalk it up to me not being a "natural runner."  I'm always envious of people who start running and instantly are doing 8-9 minute miles with little effort. 

7 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to go and spectate the half marathon/marathon this year! I've never done that before, but I think it would be fun! I'm considering doing the 5k, but it depends how much running I get in after our century ride on the 9th. Regardless, I will be there! :) You will do great!

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is only one bad hill at Tyranena - at about mile 3. Otherwise the course is not too bad. You'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck! My next race is Nov 3rd with the Savannah RnR half marathon! Erica
    Ericasrunningjourney.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like the beer run! Best of luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This beer run you speak of sounds amazing. I love beer and running, and sometimes running with a beer. You're going to do GREAT at your marathon!! (and yes, it sure as heck better be cooler by October...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have yet to sign up for any races - 5K or longer.

    Every time I see a car with a 13.1 sticker, I think to myself, that might be fun. Then I think, when will I have the time to fit in long enough runs to train for a half. I am lucky to have 30 minutes to run, let alone 2 hours or more.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete