Monday, November 5, 2012

Tyranena Beer Run Weekend

Ahh the weekend I have been waiting for has finally come and gone.   It was full of fun, food and new friends.  

The Race:

Since my full marathon, I've done very little running.   Call me bitter but I just sort of lost the mojo and have been struggling to get it back since then.   I think this half marathon was just what I needed.   I could really see how much my endurance had decreased just in that amount of time.   I arrived at the race calm as could be.  I kept having to remind myself that I was about to run a half marathon.   The reason I was so calm was because I knew I wasn't running this for time.  My only goal was to have fun, get it done and then eat food and drink beer.   Thankfully Falon felt the same way as me so we ran together and enjoyed the run.  

The course is hilly.   Very hilly.    It was nice being with a seasoned Tyranena runner because Falon knew exactly when we would be hitting a hill or when we would be turning.   We made the goal to run until we hit any mountains and then run the down hill and stuck to that for the the first half of the marathon.   One of my favorite parts of this race was the  "Unofficial Beer Stop" that some man had set up at the end of his driveway.   He had all different kinds of Tyranena beer out for us to drink.  I could see myself being friends with him. 

I think I was giving the thumbs up and cutting Falon off all at the same time. 

Before we knew it, the race was done.   I finished in 2:38.  My slowest half marathon this year but my favorite.   I of course had to be dramatic at one point when my knee went shitty on me.   I couldn't even pinpoint the spot of pain because the entire thing just hurt.   Then like that it was gone and we were back to running.  My running career flashed before my eyes for a couple of minutes though.  

Afterwards they feed you amazing food and amazing beer.  

I forgot to take a picture until my salad was gone and half my lasagna was eaten. 





A small story about this picture.   I do not know these people.  The two in the middle came up to me and asked me if I could take their picture.  I smiled and said sure.   They posed.   I waited.   I finally realized they wanted me to take a picture of them with my camera.   I told two other people passing by to get into the picture as well and warned them that they can search for this because it will be on some random blog.   Cheers!

After the race we went back to Rachel's house to eat more food, drink more alcohol and get all pretty.   We all walked to a local bar where fun was sure to be had but of course shit happens to me constantly and I had an allergic reaction to something I ate so I sat in the grass outside of this bar scratching my entire body until I was bleeding.    Finally I called it quits and went back to the house because I wasn't getting better and I was dizzy, and having terrible stomach cramping.   After over an hour of that crap, the Benedryl finally kicked in and I was out.   A shout out to Alicia for sitting with me as I rubbed my entire body on the ground and was nearly crying and passing out in Piggly Wiggly.   I don't know what I would have done without you.  

The only good part about being the one that doesn't go out is the morning after when they all get up, you feel great and they all are double fisting beverages to rehydrate.  

I look forward to another reuniting with all of these great ladies.  I had a great time meeting them and running with them (Falon).   I do feel like I missed out on a lot of the fun since I wasn't able to go to the bar with them.   We all know the best bonding is over a beer.   Maybe next year! 

5 comments:

  1. This sounds so fun! I need a race like this, where you can kick it with some cool runners and have fun. I love the random people picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are able to figure out what your allergic reaction is coming from!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that race sounded good, other than the hills, and then the allergic reaction sounded god awful. It is great being the non hungover one in the morning though. Thank god for good friends, right? The Baltimore Marathon always passes out beer and I've seen it at other races too - no way I would be able to continue racing, but I'm always curious! So many people thought the Wineglass Marathon was literally a marathon of wine - which I've done, and is also great, in its own way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that you had an allergic reaction and missed out on a trip to the bar. Glad you had a great time running the race (minus the hills)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally had random people take a photo with me at chicago and then text me the picture. This is how people normally make friends, right??

    Are you allergic to your clothes or something?

    ReplyDelete