Sunday, March 3, 2013

2013 Point Bock Run

I did this race last year and if you plan on doing this race any year at all, you need to be on the ball as soon as they open sign up.   They cap the amount of people that can run this race at 2000 and there is a good reason.   Some of the roads are a bit narrow and being that it's only 5 miles, there isn't a whole lot of time to spread out a lot.   This year, the race sold out in a record 24 hours and I am so glad I was one that got in.  

In this area this is a very popular runners race.   You have lots of insanely speedy people running this race and it's a classic out and back so you are able to actually watch everyone ahead or behind you run by at some point, which is always fun.    It's also a beer run which means you get free beer after the race.   I always am on my game to sign up for a race if they supply the after party.    It is also a late start race, starting at noon.    No need to beat the heat during March in Wisconsin.   We try to wait until it warms up a bit! 

It was a beautiful sunny day yesterday.   The sun was perfect to take the chill out of the air and wind was pretty minimal.    It was probably around 20 degree when the race started.   We road up to Stevens Point as a large group including Kim, Lish, Kathy, Matt and Kim's husband Nick.  We also met up with Rachel and her husband Kevin who ended up being stuck with the job of holding all of our coats for after the race.   Thanks Kevin!  

We were all excited and ready to race!   The race started on time and we were off!   I ran with music and planned to just run my own race.   Everyone had their goals and everyone pretty much met them.   We enjoyed many beers after to celebrate and had a great time. 


The coarse is slightly hilly but nothing too bad.   Miles two to four felt difficult for me but I just kept running.   I fought with my brain to never stop running.   Once I hit mile 4, I felt like I finally had my groove.   I was sort of bummed the race was almost over because I knew that I was about to speed up and would have been able to keep that pace a little while longer.  



My final time was 48:12 (actually hit my garmin at exactly the right time).   A new PR for me!  I really wanted under 48 minutes but am still happy with my overall PR.  

I also ended up winning one of the raffle prizes and ended up with a hooded sweatshirt and a 6 pack of beer along with the long sleeve tshirt everyone gets.   #winning



10 comments:

  1. That's awesome! A PR and extra fun prizes - doesn't get better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not see you won a doorprize! I am so jealous of your sweatshirt!!!! Great race - so glad everyone had such a good time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! Erica
    Ericasrunningjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great time! Plus, score on the raffle winnings!

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS!! yay for PRs, beer, and free stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin says holding all the coats kept him warm while he was waiting for us, so he was happy to do it! :)

    Great job on your PR! It was such a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You totally got the best door prize out there, can I get some of your luck?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like such a fun race!! Congrats on your PR and on the raffle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the PR! With the beer, raffle, fun course and friends this race does sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on a new PR and winning a door prize! I can't imagine that winning beer is ever a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete