Monday, June 30, 2014

Well this sucks

I knew something was up with my foot even before The Longest Day.   It was painful the first run after Cellcom and hasn't quit since.   I could get about a mile in and then the pain would creep in like the first beer on an empty stomach.  You could feel it and then it would continuously get worse until eventually it went numb.

 I went to see the Podiatrist prior to the longest day and the minimal explanation and diagnosis left me uncertain of what to do next.   She had done an X-Ray and confirmed there was no break but nothing else was exactly discussed.   I wondered if a cortisone shot would work so I called back and she refused to give me one until I had an MRI done.    So lets do it.   Here are the findings:


I still am not sure what to make of it or how long the recovery will take.   I can't find anything conclusive on Dr. Google.    My doctor said that wearing athletic shoes, rest, ice, etc would help recovery and that it could take anywhere from 1-3 months before it is healed.   That seems like a really long window of time with nothing more I can do but rest it.    I'm probably over thinking this and just hating the fact that I can't run for who knows how long but this sucks.  

Anyone have any information on this and any suggestions?  

And just so this post isn't completely stupid with crappy injury talk, I have this.


7 comments:

  1. That completely sucks, I'm so sorry. The not knowing is the worst. Rest up and do some cross training and eat some good chocolate in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That completely sucks I am so sorry! The not knowing is the worst. Rest up, cross train, and eat some good chocolate! And drink some beers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAH! That is quite the diagnosis. I have no idea what you should do, other than rest. I hope the doc is more helpful!

    What a cute pic! I want to hold a baby pig!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GAH! That is quite the diagnosis. I have no idea what to do other than rest. I hope the doctor is more helpful!

    What a cute pic! I want to hold a baby pig :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately foot injuries take a long time to heal and since it's not broken bones, but something to do with the ligaments and muscles, I would stay off my foot as long as possible. Be sure to get a second opinion too. Once you start to feel better, you might not be better either. Ask about some physical therapy too. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree . You have a level 2 sprain with a partial tear of your peroneus longus tendon and there is swelling, inflammation, and fluid in different areas around the joints/bones of your foot on the big-toe side. These tears can take a long time to heal, and the more you stay off it, the faster it will heal. If you get active too quickly, you will re-injure it.

      Delete